This is a creamy & comforting soup that uses sausage, kale, and potatoes.
1 pound ground sausage
3 cups kale, chopped
1 pounds potatoes, diced
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 cup full-fat coconut milk (or whipping cream)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt (or more)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon oil
4 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled (optional, for garnish)
1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the ground sausage and cook until no longer pink. Crumble the meat as it cooks. Drain any excess grease.
2. Add the sausage, broth, water, potatoes, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
3. Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
4. Stir in kale and coconut milk (or whipping cream). Cover & cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until kale is soft.
5. Garnish with bacon before serving (if using).
* Turn on the pressure cooker and select sauté. Once hot add oil to the pot. Add the ground sausage and onion cook 3-5 minutes or until onions are soft and sausage is browned. Crumbling the sausage as it cooks. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute. Turn off and drain any excess grease if needed.
* Pour in broth and deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon.
* Stir in potatoes, garlic, salt, and pepper.
* Close lid and seal valve. Select high pressure and set time for 20 minutes. When cook time is completed, quick release the pressure.
* Turn the pressure cooker to sauté and stir in kale and coconut milk.
* Cook an additional 5-10 minutes on sauté or until kale has is softened.
* Garnish with bacon before serving (if using).