Salads are a great addition to a meal or an independent meal if they have all the sources of nutrients. This vegan salad with black lentils can serve as a light meal with some bread, and I suggest you try it with potatoes or some cereal. On these hot summer days, when hardly anyone enjoys standing by the stove, these quick and refreshing salads are a great solution.
You can use vegetables of your choice , and also any legume you like. Black lentils are great because they don’t fall apart during cooking but keep their shape and are very tasty. Of course, you can also use canned lentils, beans or chickpeas, but I think that the one you cook yourself is always a better option.
I don’t think there is a need for a more detailed explanation, because the salads are there to be simple and everyone can adapt them to their own taste. Try the recipe below, and you can add some of your own.
(about 2 servings)
- 1 glass of black lentils (dry)
- 1/2 head of purple onion
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 red pepper
- a few cherry tomatoes (or sliced larger tomatoes)
- 2/3 cup of boiled corn
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 tsp pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Cook the black lentils according to the instructions on the package. It usually takes about 30 minutes to cook.
- Leave the cooked lentils to cool, and in the meantime prepare the vegetables.
- Wash the vegetables and cut them into smaller pieces.
- Mix the cooled lentils in a bowl with sliced vegetables, then add the spices and mix everything.
Preparation – about 10 minutes
Cooking – about 30 minutes
Cooling – about 30 minutes