Mayonnaise is a sauce that gives fullness of flavor to French salads , sandwiches and any dish we like to add to it. In addition, it is affordable.
Mayonnaise – calories
Did you know that mayonnaise can have more calories than the whole dish we added it to if we overdo it with the amount? So the question is whether mayonnaise is healthy or not . In other words, does mayonnaise have a good ratio of calories and nutrients?
Mayonnaise contains as much as 700 kcal per 100 g . Most calories come from fat , with mayonnaise containing about 77 kcal of fat per 100 g. Fats in the diet have the highest caloric value, 9 kcal per 1 g.
In addition to its high energy value, mayonnaise is not a nutritionally rich food, so we consider it only as an occasional addition to dishes due to its taste. But the good news is that nutritionally richer mayonnaise can come from home-made products, from a variety of foods.
Vegan mayonnaise – recipes
Today’s diet is mostly rich in saturated fats, which are largely derived from foods of animal origin. Excessive intake of saturated fats is associated with diseases of the vascular system.
However, in order to enjoy your favorite food, it is not necessary to give up certain foods. For every favorite dish or sauce in a classic form, there are at least a few nutritionally rich versions of recipes. In order to reduce saturated and increase the intake of unsaturated fats in the diet, which have a beneficial effect on the health of the heart and circulatory system, we bring you recipes for vegan mayonnaise .
If you choose ingredients from organic farming, it will be real bio mayonnaise . Vegan mayonnaise can be made from avocados , cashews , and even truffles. We have selected the following recipes:
- avocado mayonnaise
- aquafaba mayonnaise
- cashew mayonnaise
- mayonnaise with truffles .
Vegan mayonnaise – recipe
The ingredients for this vegan mayonnaise are simple and accessible to everyone. Most likely you have most of the ingredients at home. We can say that this mayonnaise is healthy mayonnaise compared to the classic one, ie it is nutritionally better because it does not contain saturated fats. Namely, this is eggless mayonnaise , so it is great for those who are not vegan , but do not tolerate eggs.
One of the ingredients of this mayonnaise is soy herbal drink , which has an advantage in making vegan mayonnaise compared to other types of herbal drinks. Namely, soy herbal drink will contribute to the necessary consistency of this vegan mayonnaise .
- half a cup of soy herbal drink
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- half a teaspoon of agave , maple or rice syrup
- half a teaspoon of dijon mustard
- a little salt .
- Put all the ingredients, except the olive oil, in a blender and blend for about 60 seconds at a higher speed.
- After that, slowly add the olive oil and continue blending on a low speed for another 60 seconds . The mixture should be thickened slowly.
- When the mixture has reached the texture to your liking, transfer the mayonnaise to a well-sealed container and keep it in the refrigerator. This mayonnaise should be consumed within four weeks .
Avocado mayonnaise – vegan mayonnaise
Avocado is a grateful food for making mayonnaise because it is rich in fats and unsaturated fats that are desirable in our diet. Avocado is a source of fiber , vitamins B , E, lutein. It helps reduce LDL cholesterol , so why not make healthy homemade mayonnaise from this food .
Since this mayonnaise is also rich in fat, although unsaturated, you should pay attention to the amount due to its high caloric value.
- 2 pieces of avocado
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- a little salt
- ground pepper
- 1 cup olive oil .
- Blend all ingredients to the desired texture .
- Put the avocado mayonnaise in a jar and consume within two weeks . This vegan mayonnaise should also be kept in the refrigerator.
Vegan aquafaba mayonnaise
If the name of this mayonnaise sounds exotic to you, then it’s time to get acquainted with aquafab – a liquid that comes from cooking legumes , most often chickpeas . Aquafaba is a commonly used ingredient in vegan cuisine because it has the same role as egg white .
That is why aquafaba is an ingredient from which healthy eggless mayonnaise can be made . Did you know that aquafaba was only discovered eight years ago? Put on an apron and try aquafaba mayonnaise that will not leave you indifferent.
- 3 tablespoons aquafabe (canned chickpeas or beans )
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- a little lemon juice
- stevia crumb powder or 1 teaspoon erythritol / coconut sugar
- a crumb of ground black pepper
- half a teaspoon of ground mustard .
- Drain the liquid from the can of the selected legume (three tablespoons) into a blender .
- Add vinegar, lemon juice, stevia or other sweetener as desired, pepper and ground mustard.
- Blend all ingredients.
- Slowly add the oil to the blender and continue blending until you get a creamy mixture.
Vegan mayonnaise mayonnaise
Who doesn’t love to nibble on cashews during a break at work? Surely in the mix of nuts and dried fruits, you eat cashews first.
In addition to being so delicious, they contain calcium, phosphorus, magnesium , zinc , vitamin C. They are also a source of unsaturated fatty acids and proteins. However, we consider cashew nuts a source of fat, so its energy value is great. Precisely because cashews are high in fat, they are great for making vegan mayonnaise .
- 2/3 cup cashews
- about half a cup of water
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic
- half a squeezed lemon
- a little salt
- a little black ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar .
- Soak cashews in water and leave for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and put in a blender .
- Add the garlic, squeezed half of the lemon, salt, pepper and vinegar to the blender.
- Blend all ingredients for about 15 seconds. Then add water depending on the desired density and with a spoon scrape the cashew nuts into the water from the wall of the blender.
- Blend for about half a minute .
- Add cashew mayonnaise to your favorite breakfast sandwich or let a vegan French salad shine in all its glory.
Vegan mayonnaise – mayonnaise with truffles
If you want to make a special dish that contains vegan mayonnaise , then a truffle recipe with mayonnaise is ideal for you . Vegans will especially love truffles because they contain all the essential amino acids. But as truffles are eaten in small quantities , care should still be taken to consume all amino acids throughout the day.
Truffles are rich in various minerals and are specific in their aroma. Truffles are also known as an aphrodisiac , so it is an ideal ingredient for a joint dinner with the better half.
- about 50 g of soy herbal drink
- 100 ml of grape seed oil or avocado oil
- a little salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon black truffle
- 1 teaspoon sweetener .
- Put all the ingredients in a blender except the oil and truffles.
- Start blending the added ingredients, then gradually add the oil .
- When the mayonnaise has reached the desired consistency, add the grated black truffle .
Buy vegan mayonnaise for those in a hurry
If you’ve promised lunch or dinner to your friends and family, and you’ve announced delicious recipes with vegan mayonnaise , don’t worry because there are also ready-made vegan mayonnaises on the market .
Almost every supermarket offers vegan mayonnaise of its own brand or some other.
Spar thus has its own line of vegan products called “Spar Veggie”, and we also offer vegan mayonnaise Spar . It comes in a jar, which is also the best packaging for food storage. Vegan mayonnaise Lidl can be found in a plastic tube called Gea. Vegan mayonnaise Kaufland also has a line for vegans and vegetarians , and the special feature of this mayonnaise is that it contains significantly fewer calories than classic mayonnaise. But again, you need to watch your input. A portion of 10-15 g is quite enough.
In addition to the brands of some stores, you can also find vegan mayonnaise from some brands. So Hellmans gluten-free vegan mayonnaise can be found on the market . Of the domestic brands, we offer vegan mayonnaise Omegol with a reduced fat content, and it contains the most monounsaturated fats. Mayonnaise Konzum also contains a vegan Planet of Mayonnaise plants with psyllium powder .
Most of the purchased vegan mayonnaises have a good composition, most of them contain unsaturated fats and fewer calories than classic mayonnaise. But it should be noted that vegan mayonnaise is also high in calories because it contains about 470 calories per 100 g. As it is a sauce, a teaspoon of vegan mayonnaise will not significantly contribute to energy intake.
If you want healthier mayonnaise , but still don’t want to give up eggs in mayonnaise, we also bring you a recipe for healthier egg mayonnaise.
Cooked mayonnaise – recipe
- 2 egg yolks
- 100 ml of olive oil
- a little salt
- pepper optional
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- about 2 tablespoons of water
- about 2 tablespoons of vinegar .
- Mix all ingredients except oil.
- Then cook on low heat , stirring the mixture all the time until the first bubbles appear, or until the mixture takes on a slightly thicker consistency.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Then add it to the blender and blend slowly add the oil .
- When the mixture reaches the consistency you want, it is ready to serve.