Pesto Corn Succotash with Fried Halloumi is a fantastic summertime lunch or light dinner. Featuring a hearty blend of sweet corn, edamame, and tomatoes served over basil pesto with chunks of fried halloumi cheese. Gluten free, filling, and so flavorful.
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. halloumi cheese, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- 3 cups corn kernels (cut from 2 large cobs or frozen/thawed)
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. each salt and black pepper
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas) preferably roasted and salted
- ½ cup basil pesto (homemade or store-bought)
Heat oil in a large skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high. Once hot, add halloumi cheese; cook 2 minutes, until golden. Flip, and cook 1 more minute, or until the under side is golden and crisp. Use a set of tongs to transfer halloumi to a plate.
Add corn, poblano peppers, and red onion to the skillet. Cook, stirring only occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper; cook 1 more minute. Stir in tomatoes, edamame, fresh basil, and pumpkin seeds; remove from heat.
Use the back of a spoon to smooth pesto onto a serving platter or four small plates. Spoon corn succotash over pesto, and top with pieces of fried halloumi. Garnish with extra fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.
NotesTo Store: Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. (It’s OK if the pesto gets mixed in with the other ingredients — it’s delicious this way!)
To Reheat: You can enjoy this succotash cold right out of the fridge, warm it in a skillet, or eat it closer to room temperature. I personally like to rewarm the halloumi in a skillet or a toaster oven, and enjoy the rest of the salad slightly chilled.
NutritionServing: 1.25cups | Calories: 469kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 710mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g